Press release: Grandfather pays tribute to 'amazing' lifesavers after golf course cardiac arrest

Glyn Bishop meets his lifesavers at Gorleston Golf Club

A grandfather has paid tribute to the “amazing” ambulance staff who helped save his life at a Norfolk golf club.

Glyn Bishop was just minutes from finishing his round at a competition at Gorleston Golf Club when he collapsed just before the 18 green on 13 November.

After making a recovery from the dramatic ordeal, the 70-year-old, from Lowestoft was able this week to say a big ‘thank you’ to the East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust (EEAST) crews who came to his aid.

His fellow golfers on that day – Alan Bidwell, John Smith and Andy Crisp -  were also praised for performing effective cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and quickly calling 999 when they realised Glyn was not breathing and had no pulse.

The Trust received a call at 2.42pm and Call Handler Kylie Joy gave CPR advice over the phone until the arrival of the first ambulance crew, which was on scene in under two minutes. The crew included Paramedic Paul Rampley, senior Emergency Medical Technician David Tandy and Student Paramedic David Draper, followed by Paramedics Emma Strawson and Peter Jordan, and Emergency Care Assistant James Taylor.

Glyn received five shocks from a defibrillator and adrenaline to get his heart beating again. The East Anglian Air Ambulance also attended and Dr Marcel Rigaud and Critical Care Paramedic Neil Flowers continued treatment while they airlifted him to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital for further treatment. The keen golfer was in hospital for 15 days before being discharged.

Glyn, a member of Rookery Park Golf Club in Carlton Colville, was reunited with the ambulance staff at Gorleston Golf Club on 25 February said: “It is strange going back, but I can not remember anything that happened on the day, it is a total blank.

“It is amazing [to meet the ambulance staff, they are amazing people. I became very emotional and it was very difficult to meet them today.”

David Draper added: “It was the perfect chain of survival. As soon as it happened, someone was doing CPR and someone phoned the emergency services. He received early defibrillation, a paramedic gave adrenaline and he got rapid transport to hospital.”

John, who was Glyn’s playing partner on the day, added: “We definitely thought we had lost him. He had no sign of life at all and had no pulse. The ambulance staff were absolutely wonderful.”

Published 27th February 2015 

Leave a Comment
Name (required)
Email Address (required, never displayed)
Enter a message

(all comments are moderated - your submission will be posted on approval.)